BBQ’s, cottage weekends, parties, summer drinking all have what in common? An increase in calories, carbs and fat which unfortunately leads to some summer weight gain and bloating. So what can we do? Try these tips and tricks below to decrease your summer bloat and inch the scale back down.
1. Ditch the alcohol for a while and replace with caffeine free, water based drinks. Water, infused with with fruit, vitamin water zero, or other flavored waters with no calories work great!
Aim for 64-100 oz a day!(No pop as well!)
2. Watch the salty snack foods (pretzels, tortilla chips, cheese). And the dips they accompany! Try veggies and hummus, apple with peanut butter or slice of watermelon or cataloupe for a refreshing snack instead!
3. Up the fruits and veggies. Naturally high in water and fiber, these foods keep you full and satisfied, and keeps you hydrated with no extra salt. Add to meals or snacks!
Add to egg wrap
Add to your sandwich or wrap or choose a nice big salad for lunch
Add a salad and a cooked veggie to help fill you up.
4. Decrease the cured and salty meats such as hotdogs, brats, frozen hamburgers, etc. Choose fresh meat or go meat free for a bit.
5. Cook at home! Often times people go out to eat more in the summer but during the week try and cook some simple meals at home. You control the salt and ingredients so less bloating for everyone!
Kelly Devine Rickert MS RDN CSSD LDN
Moraine Valley Wellness Coordinator