Kelly’s favorite Pantry and Freezer meal!
When in a rush, this is hands down my favorite meal. (I use the term recipe loosely as I make it differently every time).
Instead of resorting to a drive thru for dinner, this is my favorite go to. I always keep enough for a few quick dinners on hand in case I don’t have time to make the dinner I planned. My motto and favorite quote by Ben Franklin, “If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail”
Chopped up chicken*, about 2 oz per wrap. (Make as many or as little as you want)
Low carb or whole grain flour or corn tortillas. (Mission carb-balance, or Azteca ultra grain, no preservatives)
Optional Add ons:
Black Beans (canned in pantry)
Cheese (I use 2% shredded)
Tomatoes/onions/lettuce/avocado or any veggie on hand
Green and red pepper strips, frozen
Sour cream, Light
Rice (I love the Uncle Bens individual brown rice cups or, although high in salt, I am digging the Uncle Ben’s Sante Fe or Brown Rice and Quinoa microwave packets). If you have more time, then slow cooking rice is the best option if you want that as a side.
Options to cook:
Fastest way, is to microwave your chicken. Microwave or warm your tortillas on the stove and put together your wraps with your various sides.
I love adding beans as a side to boost the fiber intake of your meal along with a lot of fresh veggies.
Other Chicken Cooking Options:
1) When I am in a super bind, I use the Tyson grilled chicken breast strips and saute them on stove with some peppers or microwave. I try and keep frozen chicken on hand for quick meals.
2) Throw a few chicken breasts (bone in) in a dish and cook at 350 degrees with lid on (~30-45 minutes). I typically do this the night before as I prep lunches for the next day. or
3) Toss a few chicken breasts in the crockpot with a jar of salsa and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours. Shred and add to your tortillas or on top of a salad. (Note, use Bolthouse Farms Cilantro Avocado dressing for the salad… SO YUMMY).
4) If I have chicken on the menu for dinner, I will try to cook extra chicken breasts, cut in strips and freeze for later or use in a few other dishes such as enchiladas, fluatas, on salads, chicken salad for sandwiches and chicken tortilla soup.
Weight Loss Tips:
- Instead of tortilla and rice, pick 1 type of carbohydrate or add a side salad to substitute rice or beans
- Always use grilled chicken and not chicken tenders
- Limit the portion of avocado, cheese and sour cream as this will up your calories fast
- Add more veggies to help fill you up
Stay tuned for more quick meal ideas!