Looking for some healthy Lenten recipes? Look no further! These recipes are heart healthy and friendly on the waist line. Enjoy!
~Kelly Devine Rickert
Moraine Valley Registered Dietitian/Wellness Coordinator
One Pot Tomato Basil Pasta
12 ounces linguine pasta
1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes with liquid
1 medium sweet onion, cut in ¼ inch julienne strips
4 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
4½ cups vegetable broth (use regular broth and NOT low sodium)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 bunch (about 10 to 12 leaves) basil, diced
Parmesan cheese for garnish
1. Place pasta, tomatoes, onion, and garlic in a large stock pot. Pour in vegetable broth.
Sprinkle on top the pepper flakes and oregano. Drizzle top with oil.
2. Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and keep covered and cook
for about 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes or so. Cook until almost all liquid has
evaporated – I left about an inch of liquid in the bottom of the pot – but you can
reduce as desired .
3. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add basil leaves and stir pasta several times to
distribute the liquid in the bottom of the pot evenly throughout the pasta as you are
serving. Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese.
Serve with a side salad and whole grain garlic toast
Tilapia Fish Tacos
Fresh tilapia, 1 lb, cut into 1-inch strips
1 Tablespoons Cajun spice
3 Tablespoons Olive oil, divided
3 Plum tomatoes, chopped
1 Green onion, chopped
1 Teaspoons Ground cumin
2 Lime, juiced and divided
8 Corn taco shells or Mission Carb Balance tortillas
1/2 Cup Sour cream, low fat
1/2 Cup Mexican style finely shredded taco cheese
1 Cups Romaine lettuce, shredded
1 Avocado, sliced
1 Lime, juiced
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. In a bowl, toss fish with Cajun spices and 2 tablespoons of oil.
3. Place tilapia on a baking sheet and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until fish turns opaque.
4. In a bowl, mix tomatoes, green onions, cumin, 1 tablespoon oil, juice of one lime, salt
5. Divide tilapia among taco shells and add desired toppings