Pasta with Zucchini and Roasted Garlic
• 1 pound Rotini, Twists or Spirals, uncooked, whole grain
• 8 medium cloves garlic, peeled
• 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
• 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
• 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
• 3 medium zucchini, coarsely grated (about 5-6 cups)
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 450. Place your garlic on a 12-inch square piece of foil on the counter. Sprinkle with thyme and rosemary. Pour the oil over the garlic and herbs. Draw up the edges of the foil and make a sealed packet. Bake 20 minutes.
- While the garlic is baking, cook pasta according to package directions. Two minutes before pasta is done, add the zucchini to the pasta cooking water. Cook two minutes. Drain zucchini and pasta.
- Open the foil and mash the garlic lightly with a spoon. Toss with the pasta and zucchini, season with salt and pepper and serve.
Sides: Serve with a side salad and whole-wheat dinner roll. (Open to bake chicken breasts to add more protein).
Egg Flatbread Sandwiches
1/8 cup finely chopped broccoli
1/8 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1 green onions, finely chopped (or sub any veggie you wish!)
2 egg whites
1 Tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese
dried dill weed to taste
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 multigrain Sandwich Thins
Spray a nonstick 10 inch skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat; add broccoli, bell
pepper and onions. Cook and stir about 5 minutes or until tender.
Beat egg whites, cheese, dill weed, salt and pepper together with fork. Pour into skillet
over vegetables. As eggs start to set, lift the edges with a spatula, allowing uncooked eggs to flow to bottom of skillet. Cook until eggs are set but still moist and place on sandwich thin.
Substitution: Top eggs with a handful of baby spinach, arugula leaves, or a few thinly sliced tomatoes
Tilapia Fish Tacos
Fresh tilapia, 1 lb, cut into 1-inch strips
1 Tablespoon Cajun spice
3 Tablespoons Olive oil, divided
3 Plum tomatoes, chopped
1 Green onion, chopped
1 Teaspoons ground cumin
2 Lime, juiced and divided
8 Corn taco shells
1/2 Cups Sour cream, low fat
1/2 Cups Mexican style finely shredded taco cheese
1 Cup Romaine lettuce, shredded
1 Avocado, sliced
1 Lime, juiced
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a bowl, toss fish with Cajun spices and 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Place tilapia on a baking sheet and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until fish turns opaque.
- In a bowl, mix tomatoes, green onions, cumin, 1 tablespoon oil, juice of one lime, salt
- Divide tilapia among taco shells and add desired toppings.