During these unprecedented times, many people are feeling stressed without their normal routines. Especially when it comes to food and nutrition! Whether people are sick of prepping and cooking multiple meals a day or can’t stop munching on salty or sweet snacks… the fact is food has become a major point of stress in this pandemic.
Below are some tips to help you get back on track and feeling better!
- Try and get back to your normal schedule as best you can. This includes sleep, meal/snack times and workout routines. This will help you keep a routine and decrease mindless snacking all day. If you normally went to bed by 10:30, keep it up! Binging Netflix until 1 am will only lead to feeling sluggish the next day.
- I say this often but plan, plan, plan! Pick 2-3 breakfast and lunch options and rotate daily. Plan your week of dinners prior to going to the store. Then make your grocery list for the week. That way every day, you know exactly what you are having at your 3 meals. (I also post my meal plan my fridge so I don’t forget!).
- Don’t forget about some healthy snacks. I suggest a piece of fruit, a veggie and pair with some protein such as a cheese stick, hard boiled egg, or some Greek yogurt.
- Drink up! Water that is! Before you reach for another caffeinated drink, chug down 16 oz of ice cold water. This will help to energize you and will help you cut down on the number of other drinks you are consuming,
- Last but not least, if you are having trouble with control, I suggest food logging. This helps to keep you accountable to your choices. Often times just logging your foods will help you keep the portions and excess snacking in control.
Head over to devinenutrition.com and sign up for the Devine Nutrition free newsletter to receive a free healthy snacks download!
~Kelly Devine Rickert Registered Dietitian and Wellness Coordinator, Moraine Valley