An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Although this common saying may not be entirely true, it is true that apples are healthy for you.
Fun apple facts:
– Apples really pack a vitamin C punch. The antioxidant power of that apple is equal to more than 1,500 milligrams of vitamin C.
– Apples also contain pectin, a soluble fiber that helps lower blood cholesterol. Since apples are high in fiber, they help to feel that full sensation in your stomach.
– Fruit consumption has also been linked to cancer prevention and lower weights.
– There are about 2,500 known varieties of apples grown in the United States alone! (Who knew?!?)
– Apples are best stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Ways to add some apples into your diet:
-Apple & peanut butter
-Chopped apple in green salads or fruit salads.
-My Favorite! Bake apples with cinnamon,a small amount of brown sugar and a sprinkle of oats (Heat in oven for 20-30 min at 350 degrees).
-Cooked apples with vegetables such as carrots, winter squash and sweet potatoes can make vegetables a bit sweeter.
Where can you find apples?
Apples go out of season by early winter, so pick some today!
County Line Orchard in Hobart
Garwood Orchard in LaPorte, IN
Prairie Sky Orchard, Union IL
Apple Holler, WI