Now that we are home and practicing good social distancing practices, we are finding ourselves in quite the predicament…. we are around our food 24/7!!! And what happens when people are bored and around food? We eat!
Here are some tips to minimize the mindless snacking and some healthy snacks to munch on instead.
Tips to decrease mindless eating
- Set certain times for snacks. Example, 3 pm and 7:30pm.
- Write out on a dry erase board what your snacks will be either the night before or in the morning. (You are more likely to stick to it that way).
- Drink water in between meals to help with fullness and hydration.
- Minimize the junk food if possible. I always suggest to clients, it’s better to have a handful of chips or a cookie or two after lunch/dinner than to binge eat those items late at night.
- Make a list and only go to the store once a week to distance yourself from others. If you snack too often, we run out of snacks and fresh food and have to go out to the store more often!
Healthy Snack Ideas!
- 1 piece of fruit and handful sunflower seeds or 1/8 c nuts
- 1 light yogurt or non fat Greek yogurt (I love Siggi’s) with 1/4 c low fat granola (optional)
- 1 piece of fruit/veggies and 1-2 tbsp peanut/almond butter
- 12 Kashi crackers/5 Triscuts with 1 oz low fat cheese (string cheese, laughing cow)
- 1 Kashi, KIND, Special K protein bar, Luna, Balance, Health Warrior bar
- 1/2 c unsalted trail mix (Enlightened or make your own!)
- 6 wheat crackers and 2 tbsp nut butter
- 1 hard boiled egg and 6 wheat crackers/1pc of fruit
- 1/4 c low fat cottage cheese and 1 fruit
- 1/2 sandwich
- Cut up veggies and 1/4 c hummus or low fat dip
- 2 rice cakes with 2 tbsp nut butter
- 1 serving pretzel thins and 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 3 celery stalks with 1 laughing cow wedge of cheese sprinkled with raisins
- 3 cups low fat or air-popped popcorn with 1/8 cup Parmesan cheese (add some garlic or pepper too for more flavor!)
- Enlightened Broad Beans snack packs
Whats YOUR favorite snack???